What is Autism?
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication. The Centers for Disease Control reports that autism affects an estimated 1 in 54 children in the US today.
Resources for Autism
Autism Speaks created the Autism Response Team (ART) information line for the autism community to provide support tools and resources for families, caregivers and support staff.
- Call 1-888-AUTISM2 (1-888-288-4762) Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm. En Español 1-888-772-9050
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Autism Speaks is a dedicated organization working to promote advocacy, awareness and solutions across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan with individuals with autism and their families. Their website has many helpful and easily downloadable guides and toolkits designed to provide an overview of autism as well as information on how to support your loved one through experiences they may be having and increase the understanding and acceptance of people with autism. Search for resources by State, Life Stage and Level of Support with their Online Resource Guide, available here.
- Parents Guide
- Siblings Guide
- Friends Guide
- Grandparents Guide
- Covid-19 Information & Resources for Family has direct links for resources including food, parent training and support, behavioral and stress and mental health.
- School Community Tool Kit
- Guide to Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Top Ten Facts Parents, Educators and Students Need to Know about Bullying
The National Autism Association
The National Autism Association helps support individuals through advocacy, research, awareness and by spreading hope. Their website can help connect you to local support groups and educational resources
- Printable Personal Emergency Profile Sheet helps to include any personal information, signs of escalation, restrictions, medical needs, likes/dislikes and symbols to assist during an emergency.
- Meet the Police Tool Kit is designed to help create positive community relationships to keep individuals safe by teaching tips to establish trust, reduce fear and confusion and encourage opportunities for local authorities to get to know community members.
- Bullying Prevention | #OddToo campaign
- Sit With Us App is a social networking app designed to promote kindness and inclusion in schools. Kids can use the app’s features to coordinate lunches with their friends. They can also volunteer to be Ambassadors for their schools and post open lunch events on campus where everyone will be included. No one needs to eat alone! Download in Google or Apple Play Store
- Welcome Packet for Schools
- Create a Buddy Bench to promote inclusion and help eliminate loneliness by fostering positive friendships on the playground
Autism Speaks and The National Autism Association have partnered to provide resources and supports for individuals with autism, families, schools and communities nationwide.